2 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 1/4 Teaspoons Yeast (1 Package)
3/4 Cups Water
3 Tablespoons Earth Balance
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Potato Starch
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook, combine 1 cup of flour and yeast. Heat and stir water, Earth Balance, sugar and salt. Make the sure the water is warm, not hot before adding to the flour. Mix the remaining ingredients in another small bowl.
2. Add the water mixture to the flour and beginning stirring. Add the flax seed mixture. Beat on stir for 30 seconds then increase the speed to 4. Add the remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Knead until the dough makes a bowl. If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour.
|Strips to braid|
3. Oil the bowl, cover and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
|Loaf before rising|
4. Punch the dough down and divide into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a 12 -14 inch log. In a greased baking pan, braid the dough. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Brush the loaf with water.
5. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Goes well with soup.
Soundtrack Stevie Nicks - 24 Karat Gold - Songs From the Vault.