Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Groceries

My meals for the day were all leftovers.  I had cereal with strawberries and cashews and vanilla rice milk for breakfast.  I was finally able to take a picture that was not blurry. The cereal was called Wheat Waffles, which is the Whole Foods version of Wheat Chex. I needed a fast breakfast because I needed to be at the dealership at 8:00 in Timonium to have the new gas pedal assembly installed.  When they open the parts box, parts were missing.  So we will try again on Wednesday.  Uggh.

Lunch and dinner involved leftovers of the Cauliflower and Potato Curry, Jamaican Stir Fry, and Tofu Curry.
I went to Whole Foods to buy the groceries for the next 2 weeks.  The bill was at 237.00 which is more than I have been spending.  I was out of a lot of staples like yeast, maple syrup, soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, and hoison sauce.  Hopefully the next trip will be cheaper.  The picture is 2 weeks of groceries, not including staples I have on hand like rice, raisins, vinegars, and nut milk. The Center for Science in the Public Interest estimates that a healthy diet can be achieved at $2.50 a day per  adult. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151425104340406&set=a.10150119529535406.322571.240937060405&type=1&theater We are at $8.50 a day.  Whole Foods organics add to the cost and dried beans would also lower the bill, but that still seems a little low to me.  Yet I am staying away from the foods subsidized by the government for Big Ag.

To get ready for next week, I have roasted garlic and red bell peppers like I have done each grocery day.  There is nothing like having fresh roasted garlic on hand to smish into whole grain bread with some olive oil.  That is the best dessert ever.  I also made some chickpea veggie burgers.  My goal is to eliminate as many premade foods as possible.  The burgers are ready to be grilled later.  I also made some Carrot Rolls. These are yeast rolls the size of hamburger buns.  They are made with white flour, pureed carrots and bourbon.  The bourbon adds a nice kick to the buns.  Oh yes, we taste tested those buns.  I did cheat a little.  The buns called for butter.  The vegan standard is Earth Balance which I have used in the past.  It acts exactly like butter in recipes.  However, I still have 5 sticks of butter from the Christmas holiday cooking.  I used 6 tablespoons of real butter.  My frugal nature that says 'don't waste anything' took over.  Considering how much butter I still have, it will last a while. When I use it all, Earth Balance will take over.



No comments: