Friday, April 5, 2013

Veggies

Prepped veggies
When you make almost all your food from scratch, there is a lot of prep time.  Cooking beans, chopping vegetables and preparing sauces or accompaniments.  While making the stew for dinner tonight, I decided to chop up a bunch of extra veggies. I had portabello mushrooms, celery, carrot and onion that I knew I would be using later with either beans or pasta.

I read an interesting editorial today from the editor of a British journal on cooking who is vegan. A lot of her thoughts match mine. Check out the link.  One difference is that I have not had any push back from friends.  Maybe because Tommy and I have worked very hard to not have toxic people in our lives.  We have always known  a lot of people who shared different opinions and views than us on a lot of subjects and that was not a factor in our relationships.

For breakfast today, I stayed with the smoothie. Today's version used coconut soy yogurt, blueberry juice, apple juice concentrate, almonds, cocoa, frozen blueberries and frozen raspberries.  I needed a quick lunch, so a made a burrito from the  leftover black rice and tofu scramble from an earlier breakfast.  I had a few pieces of crispy kale to crumble on top.

Since Spring is still eluding us, I made a hearty stew for dinner. It was a mix of a lot of veggies and beans - lentils, kidney beans, onions, celery, carrots, portabello mushrooms, kale, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, and turmeric. I piece of olive bread finished off the meal.

No comments: