Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Addicted to Results 4/16

Raspberry Orange Juice

Workout - 1 hour walk
TRX - Jacki focused on the upper body so now I can hurt all over.
Faux Sausage

Breakfast - Raspberry Orange Juice, just the 2 juices made with the juicer
Slow cooker Porridge

Slow Cooker Porridge-  This is a mix of brown rice, dried coconut, raisins, and wheat berries seasoned with some cinnamon.  The fruit and grains are added to a crock pot with some water at bed time, then there is a hot creamy porridge ready in the morning.
Cooked 'sausage' patties

2 'Sausage' slices - I made some faux sausage using Tempeh and a ground meat like prepared TVP.  I like the flavors better when I used a dehydrated TVP, but the texture was much better.  I did not have to add baked potato to hold it together.  These version was more peppery, using ground black and white peppercorns.
Whole What Sourdough Bread ready to rise


Lunch - Gazpacho reheated from leftovers in the freezer.
Finished loaf

Faux Grilled Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread.  I made a sourdough whole wheat bread using my starter, whole wheat flour, water, and a little salt.  I never thought I would be making bread without a recipe, but I have learned to eyeball the right amount of water and flour for a basic loaf of bread.  I added a little yeast to speed up the rising time.
Homemade Ketchup

The bread was topped with a sauce made from nutritional yeast, whole wheat flour, lemon juice, tahini, ketchup, cornstarch and spices.  The nutritional yeast is another of those complete protein options for vegans.  Tahini is a sesame paste with the same consistency as peanut butter.  It is often used in hummus.
Add caption


The sauce was added to the bread and then grilled.  It had a nice creamy texture and the nutritional yeast gives it a nutty taste.  No one would mistake this for real cheese, but it tastes much better than the fake cheeses that I have tried
Grilling the sandwich

The ketchup was home made.  It uses a puree of roasted red peppers and onions that is added to the tomato  sauce and spices.  The mix simmers for an hour and is thick and tasty.  Not the overly sweet stuff most people use.
Grilled sandwich

Dinner - Mushroom Stroganoff over brown rice pasta.  The sauce is a mix of cornstarch, tamari, vegetable broth, garlic powder, and tahini.  Two onions, garlic, and mushrooms are sauteed in olive oil  with crumbled seitan.  Then the sauce is added and the mix is simmered until creamy.  I made this 6 years ago (I date stamp my recipes) and it is excellent.
Brown Rice Pasta

Sesame Broccoli - a simple saute of broccoli and red pepper with sesame seeds and sesame oil


Snack - Chocolate Bonbon.  Not as rich as your typical bonbon, but definitely chocolaty.  Brown rice syrup, almond butter, cocoa, and canola oil are cooked until melted. Then some vanilla is added.  A couple of brown rice cakes are crumbled into the mix. Once it has cooled, the mix is rolled into balls.  I only ate one!  It reminds you of a dark Nestle Crunch bar.
Chocolate Bonbons

No comments: