Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Faux Spring


Tried to do a long dog walk today, but the weather did not cooperate. The base temp was fine, in the mid 40's, but the wind chill dropped it into the 30's and the wind just was miserable. We normally walk for at least 3 miles, but today was just 1.5 miles.  Of course the dogs don't notice the cold and wanted the longer walk.  It needs to get warmer.  Ugh.  But, onto food.  One of the stealth non vegan foods out there is Worcestershire sauce.  The regular version is made with anchovies.  I found a version without the fish that went into today's breakfast.

Today was a real food breakfast.  A sauteed the cloves from a head of garlic in olive oil.  Then I added extra  firm tofu and turmeric to make a scramble.  Then I added a can of diced tomatoes. I seasoned that with the Worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
Consecutively, I made some black rice and added some spinach at the very end of the cooking cycle so that the spinach would wilt into the rice. For serving the tofu mix was layered on top of the rice and spinach mix.
For lunch, I am back to salads.  Today's version was pretty simple.  Mixed salad greens made the base.  I added carrot, strawberries, green olives and sunflower seeds.  I scattered corn cereal puffs on topped and dressed with my everyday vinaigrette.  One of the biscuits from Easter rounded out the meal.
Dinner was pasta and vegetables.  I used the last of my parsley pesto with some orzo pasta. I also chopped some onion and sauteed it in a collard green infused olive oil.  I added a chopped portabello mushroom with some dried tarragon and a roasted salt and pepper seasoning.  On the side, I mixed some unsweetened applesauce with some dates. I sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top of the pasta.

No comments: