Monday, April 8, 2013

Eat In

Corn salsa

Sunday the 7th was National Eat In Day.  The idea is for people to eat healthier and stay away from fast food junk.  We pretty much do this most days, but made a point to eat all of our meals at home on Sunday. We started out with a Veggie Tofu Scramble.  This was a quick morning meal because I had already chopped up some mushrooms, onions, celery and carrots.  All I needed to do was saute them with the tofu.  I topped them off with a salsa I made the day before.  It is a mix corn, mango and pickled beets.
Veggie scramble

The weather is getting warmer, so it is a perfect for salads.  I used mixed salad greens as a base.  I cut up slices of tofukey and added sliced cucumbers and green olives.  I made a creamy avocado dressing to top it.
Salad with avocado dressing

I was planning a late dinner because of attending a 7:00 spin class.  This was the perfect time to make some hummus as a snack.  I have not made any in several weeks and missed it. I used carrots and cucumber slices for dipping.  This version was fairly traditional, made with chickpeas and tahini.  I added a little bit of cayenne for a spicy zip.
Hummus

I made a fresh batch of pesto for seasoning some seitan for dinner.  This version of pesto was made with basil, roasted garlic, lemon juice, sunflower seeds and collard green infused olive oil.  The photos really do not do just to the different varieties of hummus and pesto I have been  making.  Each one has a unique taste and there is an endless supply of recipes.


Lemon pesto
Dinner was the roasted seitan with the pesto sauce.  For the veggie, I sauteed broccolini with shallots and red bell pepper.  I had the mix berries of blueberries, blackberries and strawberries with a light sprinkling of the American Honey for dessert.

No comments: