Sunday, March 3, 2013

Veggie Mixes

Doggie cuteness
I made a quick breakfast before going to the gym yesterday morning.  Some mango and blueberries with a Cliff fruit and nut bar.  The Cliff bar was made from dates and almonds.
I have been using a lot of different mixes of vegetables over grains for my meals this week.  For lunch I had whole wheat bowtie pasta with Ratatouille.  The Ratatouille was a blend of eggplant, onion, tomatoes, garlic, celery and parsley. I prefer the version I made for the Super Bowl party in which the veggies were roasted in the oven.  This was an easy saute in the skillet. Tasty, but not as complex as the roasted version.

For dinner,  I baked a batch of Kale Chips seasoned with garlic and onion powder. Kale  is one of those great superfoods that is full of calcium, Vitamin C and Potassium. It even has some protein.  It grows very well in cold weather so it is fresh and local most of the year.
The kale accompanied another veggie mix.  This one had onion, snap peas, carrot, tomatoes, celery and spinach sauteed in a rice vinegar and hoisin sauce.  It was served over brown rice.


No comments: