Friday, March 15, 2013

Keeping Tabs


She hates having her picture taken

  Last week I forgot to bring my camera when we had an early dinner at Pazo.  We will have to go back soon because the Cava Battered Cauliflower is awesome and needs to be documented.  I also discovered that the NY Times has a vegan section.  There was a slideshow on restaurants in Southern California that were omnivore but had serious vegan sections on their menus.  Some of the items looked awesome.  That is what Baltimore needs more of,  restaurants that  actively cater to both meat and non-meat eating customers.
I started the week off with a simple breakfast of brown rice cakes with almond butter and apples.  I bought a pre-made almond butter with some maple syrup in it.  Really good.  It had a smoother texture that the grind yourself kind and a nice touch of sweetness.

I plan on eating a lot of sweet potatoes in the coming week. This lunch was seasoned dry tofu and baked sweet potato with a cumin sauce.  On the side was a Tomato Cucumber Salad with Cranberry Dressing.


Dinner was also simple fare.  Spicy Black Beans and Quinoa and some Crispy Kale. I used the dinosaur kale for the first time.  I coated it with sesame oil and soy sauce and sprinkled on  some salt, garlic powder and onion powder.  For a snack I had toast and hummus.


Because the food was more simple, I was to tally a calorie count and composition list.  I want to make sure that I am getting a proper nutritional mix.  My calories were 1500 for the day. The other breakdown

Fat          44.9 g  31%
Carb     187.1 g  55%
Protein   50.7 g   15%

I want at least 50 g of protein daily, so I was right on target.  My fat percentage was too high, the sesame oil and a big contributor to that.  I will try to use less oil with the kale.

No comments: