Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Juicing Begins


I started using the juicer at breakfast this morning.  The first thing I have learned is that it takes a lot of fruits and vegetables to make juice.  The juice for breakfast is pictured about.  That glass was made from 3 carrots, 2 apples and some ginger.  I used way too much ginger so the juice had a bit of a bit.  Ginger is an anti-inflammatory so my joints should be happy today.  My lunch juice was more vegetable oriented.  This one used 3 celery stalks, 5 kale leaves, 2 apples and a lemon.  Both had a very good and fresh flavor. The juices have a bit of foam on the top that I am not a fan of.  I need to try and skim that off better.  I was starting to get really hungry an hour  before lunch.  I took the dogs on a 3.5 mile walk which diverted my attention from the stomach.

Dinner was soup and salad.  A simple side salad was made with romaine, sunflower seeds, dried apricot and  rice bread croutons.  A sprinkled a little bit of nutritional yeast on top and dressed with my everyday vinaigrette.
A Potato Soup was the main course.  This soup used sauteed leeks with potatoes, veggie stock, and almond milk.  After the potatoes were soft, the mix was pureed with an immersion blender.  I added fresh asparagus that cooked for 5 minutes in the puree.  Finally, 8 oz of the almond cheese went in.  I tried to shred the 'cheese' and it looked like a bag of cheetos exploded in the food processor.  At least it melted very easily in the soup.  The taste is better than the rice cheese, but no one would mistake it for cheddar.

No comments: