Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cafe Zen


For my Sunday lunch, I had a salad plate.  A mix of romaine and spinach was topped with endame and some carrots and hummus.
For dinner we met with 14 of our friends and their children at Cafe Zen in the Belvedere Square area.  It was St. Patrick's day, so a Chinese Restaurant was the obvious choice.  These were folks that had attended the salon at house during a 5 year time frame.  I brought my camera to take pictures of the food and totally forgot to take pictures of the people. Cafe Zen had a lot of vegan choices which was great.  I started with the Vegetable Dumplings that were steamed.The dough was nice and chewy and reminded me of pasta.

For the main course, I had the Vegetable Green Bean Rolls.  These are considered a speciality of the house. These are deep fried and very crunchy.  The order was huge and I took half of it home.  I would the restaurant 3 of 5 stars.  Solid food with a good variety of vegan choices.

For breakfast, I am continuing to experiment of different smoothies.  This one was oat milk, frozen blueberries, frozen banana, almonds, cinnamon and cocoa.  Anytime banana and cocoa are in a smoothie, it was a rich taste.   This one was made in the food processor and had a soft serve ice cream texture.  It was like having dessert for breakfast.


 For lunch I used leftover spring roll filling inside a pita pocket with spinach.  For dinner I broiled some tempeh with BBQ sauce and mixed it in with quinoa cooked in vegetable stock.  I made another serving of Crispy Kale. If you are keeping score, that is the third bunch of kale this period.  This time I used red kale coated with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkled with garlic powder.  The lemon just evaporated off and did not leave a taste.  

No comments: