Friday, April 11, 2014

Spring things

Fresh Basil

With the start of spring, I thought I write about some food things that are going on. Yesterday was a lot of prep items that ended in a delicious meal. I started off with some Kale Salsa.  Yes, you can put kale in anything.  Tomatillos are not in season and I had a bunch on Dinosaur Kale on hand.  So throw in some sweet onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and a lot of garlic and you get salsa.
Kale salsa

I also have not made fresh bread in a while. I made an Acorn Squash Bread that is similar to a Potato Bread.  A baked squash is pureed with soy milk, Earth Balance, and a little bit of salt and sugar.  White flour with some dried sage and prepped yeast are added for the dough.  After the first rising, I made 12 rolls and one baguette.  The bread was dipped in Earth Balance and sesame seeds before the second rise.
Squash Bread
Dinner used both of those items to make Black Bean Burgers.  The burgers were a mix of black beans, salsa, tortilla chips, green onion, vegan cheddar, soaked oatmeal, salt and pepper.
Black Bean Burgers


On the side, I made some nachos using leftover white corn tortilla chips. salsa, 'cheese', and green onion.  These were baked for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Nachos


The assembled dinner.


No comments: