Shades of Autumn Pie
1 Pie Pastry (See Day 100)
2 1/4 Pounds Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Pear, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Pecan Halves
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
3 Tablespoons Cold Earth Balance, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 Teaspoons Almond Milk
1. Coat a pie or tart pan with oil. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit the pan. Place in pan and flute the edges.
2. Combine apples, pear, 1/3 cup sugar, zest and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, ginger, nutmeg and cornstarch. Add to the fruit and toss to combine. Pour the filling into the pie shell.
4. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. While pie is baking, prepare the topping. Add the flour, sugar, pecans and cinnamon to a food processor. Pulse 5 or 6 times to chop the nuts. Scatter butter over the ingredients, pulse to combine. Turn the machine on and add the milk in a stream. Immediately turn the machine off.
6. After the pie has baked for 40 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350F. Spread the crumb topping evenly over the pie. Bake 20 to 30 more minutes. The juices of the pie should be bubbly and the topping browned.
7. Transfer the pie to a rack. It should cool 1 hour before cutting.
Pairs well with Zerran Spanish Wine Blend
Soundtrack The Sword - Age of Winters