Chocolate Apricot Cookies
1 Cup Dried Apricots
1/2 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Flaxseed Eggs*
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
*Mix 6 Tablespoons Water, 2 Tablespoon Oil, 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseeds, 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder and 2 Teaspoons Potato Starch. Let stand till foamy. Use in place of 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. Combine 1/2 cup apricots and water in a small saucepan: bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Coarsely chop the remaining 1/2 cup apricots.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
|Wet ingredients from the blender|
4. Puree the cooked apricots and any remaining cooking liquid in a blender. Process till smooth. Add oil, honey and vanilla and mix. Add the flaxseed eggs and process till smooth.
|Ready to bake|
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Mix till smooth. Add 1/2 cup of chocolate. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining chocolate.
|Finished cookie loaf.|
6. Bake the bars until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Let them cool in the pan. Cut into cookie squares. The cookies are spread out like bars, but the result is a thin cookie after cutting.
Goes well with 2001 Rudd Cabernet Sauvignon
Soundtrack Catfish and the Bottlemen -- The Balcony