Roasted Vegetable Pie
1 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup Water
1/4 Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
1. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor with steel blade. Pulse several times to mix. Mix water and oil, slowly add to the dry ingredients while the motor is running. Add olives and pulse to mix. Dough should come together and not be too sticky.
|Dough ready to refrigerate|
2. Press the dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
1 1/2 Cups Carrots, peeled and diced
1 1/2 Cups Parsnips, peeled and diced
1 1/2 Cups Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
1 Cup Beet, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons and 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Freshly ground Pepper to taste
1 Head Garlic
4 Ounces Vegan Soft Cheese
Water for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the vegetables in a large bowl with seasonings. Add 2 Tablespoons of oil and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet.
|Vegetables ready to roast|
2. Remove the excess skin from the garlic head. Cut the tips of the garlic. Place in a square of aluminum foil. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil over the garlic and seasoning with fresh ground pepper. Close the foil around the garlic.
3. Roast the vegetables and garlic for 40 minutes. Stir the vegetable a few times during cooking.
4. Transfer the cook vegetables to a bowl. Squeeze the garlic cloves into a small bowl and mash. Add to the vegetables and mix well.
|Dough, rolled out and ready to fill|
1. Roll the dough into a rough 14 inch circle. Add a sheet of parchment paper to the baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Some of the dough will overhang the sheet. Arrange the roasted vegetables on the dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Fold the border over the vegetables and pinch the dough together to form a decorative crust. Place tablespoons of the soft cheese around the top of the pie. Use a brush to coat the top crust.
|Whole cooked pie|
2. Bake the pie at 400 F for 35 minutes. Crust should be golden. Serve warm.
Goes well with steamed broccoli
Soundtrack Jane's Addiction - A Cabinet of Curiosities