Friday, February 1, 2013

Thanks

First, I would to give a shout out to my significant other Tommy.  He is being great during this transition.  Admittedly, I am putting cheese on his veggie burgers and tonight he had turkey sausage in his soup.  Still, I am getting a lot of support from his and that has been great.  It has been fun working with new recipes and ideas for meals. Tonight was tough because be brought home some awesome chocolate chip cookies that were made with butter and eggs.  I have had them and they are great.  Not eating any may be good for my calorie count, but my tongue says 'gimme.'

Breakfast was some of the leftover Fig Oatmeal that I microwaved before heading out to the gym.  For lunch, I grilled the Chickpea Veggie Burgers that I made on Monday.  The burgers were on the Carrot Rolls with caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato, mustard, and ketchup.

During the afternoon I roasted some zucchini chips and made a big batch of basic salsa using tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. The chips were good, but they did not roast like potatoes.  The chips did not dry out until they turned a burnt brown.  The ones that were yellow still had a wet consistency.  I also made a fresh batch of stock for soup.  I use stock for rice, couscous, and soup even when the recipe calls for plain water.  It is nice to add a little veggie flavor to the dish. I also prepared a bottle of thyme infused olive oil.  I always keep some flavor oil on had.  Usually I have one bottle that I am using while the other bottle is soaking up the flavors.  My current oil is a roasted garlic oil.  Oils take about a week to infuse the flavors into the oil and the thyme oil will be ready when the roasted garlic oil has been used up.

Dinner was a Curried Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Soup  with a salad made with greens, leftover carrot halwa, mango salsa and tomatoes. I used some peasant bread to soak up the broth.

No comments: