Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Catching up

It has been a few days since I have posted, so I am going to cover the highlights of the last few days.

After some errand running on President's Day, we decided to drop in at Vino Rosina for happy hour.  It is hard to find something that will top buying a new water hose.Vino Rosina infuses various liquors for making cocktails.  I had the one on the right, an apple infused rum with cider and champagne. Very nice, especially for the cold weather.  It was like a Hotty Toddy Martini.
We started out with the Almonds and Olives as appetizers. Tommy tried the popcorn which was a bacon caramel corn. I did try a bite.  It had a smokey, buttery taste. More adult that Fiddle Faddle or Screaming Yellow Zonkers.  The kitchen also made a custom flatbread so me, roasted cauliflower and potatoes on a tomato sauce.


I finally used the faux meatballs I made earlier. This was a pasta and meatball soup with spinach. The meatballs and pasta were cooked in a veggie broth and the spinach was added at the end.  I sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top for flavor. The soup was still hot when I took the pic, so you can see the steam.


For breakfast on Monday, I made some Homefries.  I sauteed onions and potatoes till soft and added grape tomatoes, green onions, and soy sauce.  I served them with applesauce and Pepita's.
Tuesday night I made Broiled Tempeh over Couscous with a Romanesco Sauce. I used pearled couscous with toasted almonds and mint.  The sauce was a mixed of almonds, breadcrumbs, and roasted red peppers that were pureed and spread over broiled tempeh. I liked tempeh best when it is broiled.  It has a nice crispy texture.
Tonight we had my Faux Sausage and Broccolini over Spinach Fettuccine. I crumbled the 'sausage' I made earlier with garlic and sauteed in some olive oil.  I added broccolini and rapini and steamed with some veggie stock. I tossed with the fettuccine and sprinkled some nutritional yeast over the top.

I have been leftover pancakes for breakfast and a variety of salads for lunch.

No comments: