Sunday, February 10, 2013

Condolences


I want to start out by sending condolences to the family of Richard Twiss.  Richard died yesterday from a heart attack after attending the National Prayer Breakfast in DC. I had met him at Cedar Ridge Community Church and at the Amahoro Conference  in Rwanda in 2008.  He was a tireless advocate for First Nation peoples and a all around good guy that was always smiling.  This world will miss you.

On more trivial matters, lets start with breakfast. I made a Breakfast Burrito on a whole wheat tortilla.  The filling was extra firm tofu and potato sauteed with turmeric to give it that egg look.  I added some spinach, olives, and roasted red peppers and topped with Black Bean Salsa.

Lunch was a leftover Chickpea Patty on a whole wheat tortilla with spring mix, tomatoes, olives and the Maple Balsamic Sauce.  That afternoon I made an Apple Swirl Loaf.  The batter was whole wheat flour and oat bran, maple syrup and almond milk. That was layered with an apple, applesauce, and lemon juice mixture. This one came out good.  It has a coffee cake texture, not quite as sweet and a little heavier because of the whole grains.  If it was made with white flour and more sugar, you probably could not tell that it was vegan.  Personally, I like the heavier whole grains better.

For dinner I had leftover Ratatouille over pasta and a green salad. The salad was spring mix and spinach with tomatoes and olives and the Miso dressing. Tommy is not a fan of eggplant, so I made a batch of Basil Pesto. It is pretty much the same as regular pesto, I just left out the Parmesan cheese and used more nuts. I used walnuts because I was out of pine nuts.  I think they each work equally well. I used roasted garlic and my roasted garlic infused olive oil to give it a richer and creamier taste.

We accented the meal with a very nice Soave. Later in the evening, Tommy made a cookie run at the bakery a few blocks down.  He had a sweet tooth and doesn't like bananas or apples that were in the sweets at the house. I didn't realize how many cookies we used to eat. I rarely cooked them, but there are several places we would grab them from. I don't miss most of them. Having muffins with chocolate in them really helps. I will not be making any fresh recipes for the next 2 days while finishing up the leftovers in the fridge.  I will post again on grocery day.

No comments: