Morning Muffins and Roasted Apple Butter
1 Cup Rye Flour
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
4 grated Carrots
1 peeled and grated Apple
1/2 Cup Currants
Equivalent of 2 Eggs with Vegan Egg Replacement
1/2 cup Apple Butter ( recipe below or buy ready made)
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
Water in necessary
2 Tablespoons Walnuts, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Wheat Germ
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners
|Sifted dry ingredients|
2. Mix flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apple and currants. Mix egg replacement, apple butter, canola oil and vanilla in a medium bowl.
3. Stir into the wet ingredients until just combined. If the mix is too dry, add a little water. Mix should be thick. Spoon into muffin cups. Combine walnuts and wheat germ in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the muffins.
4. Bake 20 - 25 minutes. The tops should be golden brown and spring back when touched. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Roasted Apple Butter
8 medium Apples, peeled, cored and quartered
2 Cups unsweetened apple cider (I used a spicy cider)
1. Preheat Oven to 450. Arrange apples in a large roasting pan. Pour juice over the apples. Bake until tender and lightly brown, about 30 minutes. Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash the apples in the roasting pan.
Soundtrack Adventure Club - Calling All Heroes