Lemon Curd can be used as a tart filling, spread on breads, or a dip for fruit.
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Cashews, soaked in water for 8 to 12 hours, drained and rinsed
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
Zest of 5 Lemons
1/2 Cup Earth Balance, cut into tablespoons
Pinch of Turmeric for color
1. In a blender, combine the water and cashews and process until smooth and creamy. It will look like a thick milk.
|Cashew cream in the blender|
2. Pour in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir constantly to ensure that it does not burn on the bottom.The mixture should thicken and be smooth. If it gets clumpy, use a whisk to smooth it out.
3. When thick, add the sugar, lemon juice and zest and cook for a few minutes until creamy. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Whisk in the butter substitute by the tablespoon until fully incorporated. Whisk in a pinch of turmeric to give it a yellow color.
5. Pour the curd into a jar with a lid. and let it cool completely in the refrigerator before using. It will thicken as it cools.
|Cooking the curd|
Soundtrack - Big Grams - self titled album