Curried Cashew Burgers
2 Cups Water
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 Cup Red Lentils
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Raw Cashews
6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Garlic clove, minced
2 Teaspoons Curry Powder (I make my own and store in a jar)
3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs
Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
6 6-inch Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Lettuce, for garnish
Cucumber Slices, for garnish
Cucumber Mint Raita (recipe below)
1. Combine water, carrots, lentils and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the lentils are falling apart, 12 -14 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, toast cashews in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring until golden and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until softened. Add garlic and curry, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Make Cucumber Mint Raita. Combine a 1/2 cup plain Coconut Milk Yogurt, 1/4 cup shredded Cucumber, and chopped leaves from a stalk of mint. Mix well and let sit.
|Cucumber Mint Raita|
5. Pulse the cashews in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the lentils and the onion mixture: pulse until the mixture is cohesive. Add the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Pulse until just combined.
6. Form the mixture into 6 patties.
7. Using remaining oil, cook the patties in the large skillet until brown on each side and heated through. Cut small ends off the pitas and open the pockets. Serve burgers in pita with lettuce, cucumber and the raita.
Goes well with Orange Infused Green Beans
Soundtrack The Lumineers self titled album