Sweet Potato Rolls
1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
6 - 7 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Cup Soy Milk
Equivalent 2 Eggs*
1 Tablespoon Safflower Oil
*2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseeds, 2 Teapoons Potato Starch, 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder, 2 Tablespoons Oil, 6 Tablespoons Water mixed together
1. Boil sweet potatoes in water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 Cup of cooking liquid. Cool to lukewarm.
|Mashed sweet potato|
2. Mash potatoes, stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, and reserved liquid. Make sure the liquid has cooled to warm or it will kill the yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
4. Using a dough hook, begin mixing at a medium speed. Add 6 cups flour, salt, milk and eggs. Alternately adding the dry and wet ingredients. Add the sweet potatoes. Add additional flour until the dough is not too sticky. Grease the dough in the bowl and let stand in a warm place for 1 hour.
|log to cut into rolls|
5. Punch dough down and turn out on a floured surface. Roll the dough into a large log. Cut the dough into rolls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
|Rolls ready to rise. I rise my breads in a warming oven set on proof|
6. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Cook at 400 F for 15 - 20 minutes.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.
Goes well with Jambalaya
Soundtrack David Lanz - Christmas Eve