Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Day

 
It is Thanksgiving Day in Philly.  The recipes for the week are from a Gourmet magazine cookbook.  Our wine for the main meal is a Neyers Merlot which went well with bread and mushroom based dishes.
 

We started with breakfast.  I made an omelet for Tommy and a tofu scramble for me using smoked tofu, greens beans, broccoli and cauliflower.  I had a piece of the seeded bread spread with the persimmon cranberry sauce. I had detox at breakfast.  I am not sure if it detoxed anything, but it is a good earthy tea with anise, licorice and dandelion root.
 


For lunch we started with a salad.  It was the same salad mix we have eating the last few days of spinach, carrot, tomato, avocado and cucumber.  I topped it with some of the endamame dip and some olive oil.  We had a piece of seeded bread on the side.
 
For the main course, I did make a turkey for Tommy.  It was seasoned with a miso butter between the skin and meat.  Tommy pronounced as the best turkey meat he has ever tasted. I am glad he liked it, since he will be having some at every meal for the next few weeks.  I made a basic turkey gravy with the juices from the turkey, a veggie stock I brought from home and some flour.
 
Turkey




My main course was a Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Tart.  The filing was sauteed in a skillet and added to layers of phyllo dough for baking.  The recipe called for 4 individual tarts,  but the lack of cooking utensils led to make one large tart.  The phyllo behaved well, but I did not have a brush to spread olive oil over each layer.  I used a paper towel, which worked okay. For my gravy. I had a barley mushroom gravy.  I roasted a mix of shiitakes, portobellas, and white mushroom with the barley.  The stock was made with the mushroom stems and parsley.  The veggies were removed, then I added the barley. I sautéed some carrots, onion and celery then started adding the stock.  I also added some wine and tomato paste. The stock was continually added and heated until thick.  The pic is the tart with the gravy.


 
For dinner that night I made an Onion Porcini Stuffing.  The bread was a couple of sourdough loaves. Dried porcini mushrooms were reconstituted in hot water.  White mushrooms, onion, celery, shallots and carrots were sautéed with garlic, thyme and sage.  The veggies were added to the toasted bread, then the mushroom water was added.  All of this was baked together.  We served the stuffing with gravy with a salad and some Pouilly Fume.
Stuffing

No comments: