Thursday, November 21, 2013

Oldies


So I pulled a couple of recipes for today from an old microwave cookbook.  The book came with the microwave we had in our condo back in the early 90's.  
oatmeal

I started the day with a fruity oatmeal.  It was not very different than an oatmeal that I would normally make. The oats were cooked with dried apricots and a lot of spices - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. The difference was that the recipe called for butter, I used Earth Balance.  I really could not tell it was any richer than my regular oats.  It was a good breakfast.
spinach  salad

Lunch was a spinach salad from the Well Seasoned cookbook. This was an old cookbook that had belonged to my mother. It was one of those books that was a fundraiser and the recipes were submissions from people knowledgable of the charity. 
The salad recipe called for spinach, bacon and a hard boiled egg.  I substituted tempeh for the bacon and smoked tofu for the egg.  The salad used a hot dressing made with apple cider vinegar, water, salt, sugar, and pepper. 
One of the items at dinner was a veggie burger.  I made it from peas, cauliflower, sunflower seeds and almonds.  Everything was pulsed in a food processor,then patted into a burger that was broiled in the oven.  I topped it off with some of the pineapple curry sauce.
soup
Also at dinner, was a soup from the microwave cookbook.  This was a traditional vegetable soup.  Carrots, potato, tomato, celery, onion, spinach, basil and parsley were cooked in vegetable broth.  This was a nice hearty soup for a cold day.
The tea for the day is labelled as a detox tea.  It is an earthy tea made with chicory, dandelion and licorice.  I don't know if any detoxing happened, but it has a rich nice taste.






No comments: