1 Tablespoon Dry Yeast
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 1/4 Cup Warm Water
3 Cups White Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1. Combine yeast, sugar and water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit till yeast is dissolved and foamy.
|Read to rise|
2. Add 1 cup of flour and the salt to the liquid. With a dough hook, begin mixing the bread. Continue add flour, a half cup at a time. After all the flour has been added, pour in the olive oil. Let the machine knead the bread until it comes together in a ball.
3. Cover the dough and let rise for 45 minutes. Punch dough down and place on a floured surface. Separate the dough into 10 -12 pieces depending on the size buns you want. Roll the pieces into a ball, then smash with the palm of your hand into a disk.
|Pans dusted with cornmeal|
4. Sprinkle cornmeal on baking sheet. Press buns into the cornmeal. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
5. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. Buns should be lightly browned and hollow when tapped.
Goes well with burgers
Soundtrack Barenaked Ladies - Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before!