Monday, August 19, 2013

Back in the Kitchen

Sauteed mixed veggies.

I did lots of cooking yesterday, some for now and some for later.  I will be eating a lot of rice or quinoa with veggies, so I created a big batch of fresh mixed veggies that I can just scoop on top for a quick meal.  this is a mix of Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, onion and green onion with dill and parsley.
Avocado Soup
Whole foods had a big sale on avocados, so I bought a big batch.  Some went into the Cream of Avocado Soup.  The picture does not do it justice.  It is made with onions, vegetable broth and silken tofu and is quite delicious.  Also, I whipped up a batch of guacamole with onions, tomatoes and garlic.  Both of those went into the freezer to eat at a later date.
Sundried tomato oil

I infused some olive oil with sundried tomatoes to give it a little more flavor.
I started my day with a smoothie made from cherries, cherry juice, hemp milk, Brazil nuts, protein powder, chia seeds and honey.  I forgot to take a picture, but it looked like a burgundy smoothie.
Hummus
One of my staple items is hummus, and I made a fresh batch.  This one was made with chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, onion, garlic and parsley.  I used less oil than earlier batches to make it more thick.  It was awesome on flaxseed crackers.
Burrito
For lunch, I made a burrito with a fat free tortilla, quinoa, some of the sauteed veggies, and avocado.  I made a big batch of quinoa so it is ready to microwave with a dish. I also made a simple salad with spring mix and broccoli and a dill dressing made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon, garlic, dill and parsley.

For an afternoon snack, I had some sweet potato, broccoli and spinach. Some pesto topped it off.  The pesto is a mix of basil, dill, walnuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, and olive oil.


For dinner I sauteed some red kale and mixed in brown rice and mung beans.  The rice and beans were cooked earlier in a large batch as well.  Some went into the freezer for later.  I made a coconut curry sauce to flavor it.  The sauce was made with tofu sour cream, vegan mayonnaise, toasted coconut and a basic curry seasoning that I had made earlier. On the side, I had a salad of spring mix, pecans, walnuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds with the dill dressing.



No comments: