Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year - New Blog




Now that it is 2015, it is time to start up the old blog.  Trying to look back on my old ones from last year, I learned something new.  When I delete a photo from my phone, it also deletes from the blog.  Uggh!  It is much faster to post direct from the phone, but I guess that I will go back to saving everything on the computer's hard drive.  I also discovered a spam folder in the comments section.  I had 90 comments from some guy called anonymous wanting me to buy stuff.  Oh well.

So for the last month, I have been eating pretty poorly.  There was a lot of eating out during the first two weeks of the month.  For the Christmas season, we ate every meal at home, but I was cooking like crazy with a lot of oil and sugar.  I wasn't strictly vegan either.  I roasted chickens and a turkey and did partake.  Interestingly, the fish and pork stews that I made were completely unappetizing to me and I couldn't stomach the thought of eating them.  Tommy said they were good.  I also ate some macaroni pie and yogurt cheese pie that used feta and eggs.  All the goodies from my Greek cookbook left some extra poundage on me. And we can't forget that it was also Champagne season.
Buckwheat

So for the next 3 months, I am doing what I call the Purge.  More specifically, it is the Thrive Forward Program.  Brendan Brazier a ultra marathoner and Ironman triathlete who is also vegan.  He put together a 3 month eating plan to optimize workouts and training.  I am going to give it a go.  Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Yesterday was a prep day.  After hitting the grocery, I started cooking some of the staples for the week.
Evo oil
Quinoa
Wild Rice
Yeast Sesame Topping
Some the basics in recipes for the week include quinoa, buckwheat, wild rice, and a nutritional yeast and sesame seed topping.  I also created an oil mix using hemp oil, flax seed oil and pumpkin seed oil.  If you are not familiar with pumpkin seed oil, it is very dark and looks like molasses.

I also made some Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bars, pesto and salad dressing that I will show with the meals they are used in.

No comments: