Monday, May 19, 2008

Jet Lag

Sunday morning I left the house at 7:00am to begin my journey to Rwanda. Our 10:05 flight left Dulles at 11:30. This was the beginning of a long day(s). We had an 8 hour flight to Rome to refuel and change flight crews. Then it was another 7 and a half hours to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia. That was the worst landing ever. We hit the ground hard and bumped and shook before finally stopping. In Ethiopia, we changed to a smaller plan and had a 2.5 hour trip to Kigali.

Kigali has a very small airport, but we got in and out real fast. By the way, the we I keep talking about are the conference participants for www.amahoro-africa.org . There were about a dozen of us on the flight out of Dulles. The conference will have 200 participants, 160 from Africa and 40 from the US and Austraila.

Because the flight time was so long I spent more time that I usually would standing and talking to other people. I only had a total of three hours sleep and that is starting to catch up with me. Rwanda is 6 hours ahead of the east coast. I think I am going to have to seek out some hot tea for the caffine.

My roommate is an older lady named Wendy from Austrailia. I have not had a chance to get to know here yet, but she seems nice. The weather is very pleasant. I am sitting on a balcony at the hotel with a wonderful ccol breeze blowing. It is about 70 degrees. The conference program starts at 8:00 tonight. I have started taking a few pictures and will start posting them later.

1 comment:

D.J. Free! said...

hurry back, tracey! i'm looking forward to hearing some amazing stories!!! :D